Civil Engineering is a subject that is involved the planning, designing, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment. A Professional in this field is known as Civil Engineer. Civil Engineers have a bright future both nationally and internationally. Civil Engineering is the broadest field of engineering that includes waterworks, sewers, dams, power plants, transmission towers/lines, railroads, highways, bridges, tunnels, irrigation canals, river navigation, shipping canals, traffic control, mass transit, airport runways, terminals, industrial plant buildings, skyscrapers among other works. . Civil engineers’ work area includes all aspects of planning and designing a project, constructing the project to the required scale and maintenance of the product. The profession requires not only a high standard of engineering knowledge but also supervisory and administrative skills. The work includes working in teams or in coordination with many other engineers.
Role of a Civil Engineer:
- To ascertain building and safety regulations, local authority and government regulations.He should follow acceptable standards for construction and drawing plans.
- To contribute towards sustainable development.
- To work towards effective and productive output.He should have analytical, practical and sharp mind.
Degrees And Courses:
i. Diploma in Civil Engineering
The course is offered by many institutes.It is a two-year diploma course in civil engineering.
The aspirants must have passed class X or its equivalent examination with a minimum of 45% marks each in Science and Mathematics as compulsory subjects. The students must have also studied English as one of the compulsory subjects.
ii. B.Tech Civil Engineering
It is a four-year full-time undergraduate program divided into 8 semesters.
- Aspirants must have passed 10+2 or equivalent examination from any recognized central or state board with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
- The admission process of the BTech program is done through the entrance exams such as – JEE Main, JEE Advanced, MHCET, KCET and other exams.
iii. MTech in Civil Engineering
It is a two-year full-time post-graduation program.
- The students must have passed a BTech degree with a minimum passing percentage in the aggregation of all subjects studied in the undergraduate program.
- The admissions are done through the entrance exam such as – GATE score merit list.
- Environmental Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Municipal or Urban Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Coastal Engineering
- Construction Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Structural Engineering
Since the construction industry is always on the move, there will be a consistent demand of Civil Engineers to maintain and repair existing facilities and structures and to construct new ones. An engineering graduate can look for jobs in road projects, building work, consultancy firms, quality testing laboratories or housing societies. According to the experts there is a high demand for experienced civil engineers in developed countries. There is demand for civil engineers in all the major construction projects carried out by the state or central government, the railways, private construction companies, military, engineering services, consultancy services etc. Civil engineering graduates can opt for research work and go for teaching or they can open their own independent consultancy services. Middle Eastern countries provide employment opportunities especially Dubai where Civil Engineers can reap the benefit of opportunities owing to the number of construction projects they have.
The salary of civil engineers depend on the type of company one is working like Central or State government departments or private concerns. With more experience or as an established independent consultant one could earn more. Civil engineer salaries are higher in foreign countries.
- Assistant Engineer
- Project Manager
- Senior Engineer
- Supervisory Engineer
- City Engineer
- Division Leader
- Chief Engineer
- Division Head
- Deputy Engineer
- Director Of Public Works
- Senior Superintendent
- Independent Consultants
- Professor and Teachers
Areas of Employment
- Government Departments
- Private And Public Sector Undertakings
- Real Estate Societies
- Consultancy Firms
- Quality Testing Laboratories
- Power Plants
- Industrial Plants & Building
- Housing & Urban Development
- Teaching Institutions